Monday, December 12, 2011

How to give your mom a heartattack.

This morning, I was taking a shower before work. Brady has decided that the umbilical cord was cut way to soon and he can't be a foot away from me at all times. Usually, he hangs out in there and plays with his toys or plays with the toilet paper (and boy, that is a fun mess to clean up!) I am constantly poking my head out to see what he is up to because as you will see, the kid can't be left alone for a hot second.

Then, I hear him make a spitting sound.

I look at him and he has something in his mouth. I notice he has my pill case and I jump out of the shower butt neked. (The case was high up on the counter in a child proof container!)

He ate part of my prenatal. I read the back and see in big bold letters, 'Iron is lethal for children under 6. Please contact your local poison control if ingested.'

I had him spit out what was left in his mouth and wiped out what I could. I immediately grabbed my phone and dialed Poison Control. Did I mention it's not even 7 am?

Lesson #1: Keep Poison Control on Speed Dial. Here is the number. I urge you all to put it in there now.
1-800-222-1222




Lesson #2: Child proof does not necessarily mean Brady proof.

She asked for his age and weight. I had figured he ate about  half or a little more because the rest was spit out on my bathroom floor. Luckily, he would have had to eat 40+ mg of Iron to be worried and one pill had 28mg. I made him some toast and tried to force feed him a glass of milk while I tried to stop my heart from racing and keeling over.

Lesson #3: Never leave this kid out of my sight..EVER!

Here is to hoping the rest of the week is uneventful.

You hear that, Brady??

Note to self: Teach my kid not to eat anything he finds anywhere. The kid ate a crumb off the floor last night!!!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Daniel once ate almost an entire container of kids vitamins. Childproof containers, my foot! He was ok thankfully! Wonder how many calls Poison Control gets like that a day!

Unknown said...

Amy I just love reading your blog. It's always great to see that I am not the only one dealing with a wild child! Can't wait to see how your next baby will be in comparison to Brady!

Carrie said...

Yikes! Glad he's OK - and hopefully you'll recover soon? ;)

Julia Goolia said...

freaking scary! I also ran over to Truman's flintstone multivitamins WITH IRON to see how much was in there. I purposefully bought the kind with iron b/c he was slightly anemic at one year, and apparently he only gets about 8 mg in one day. Whew.

Darn toddlers are terrifying sometimes!!