Monday, October 4, 2010

Good-bye, my friend.

I've been reluctant to post this for a while. Not because I'm afraid of the slack we'll get but because then I have to really come to terms with the decision we made or even get through writing this without crying my eyes out.

Lily (the dog) now lives with another family.

Like I said, it wasn't the easiest choice and after she left I felt like a part of our family was gone. It has been about a month and I still miss her. I could not say it more bluntly: it sucks and it sucks some more.

We really think that the added anxiety of the cat and Brady was too much for her. Looking back, her feet biting really increased when we brought home Piper (the cat.) It seemed to continue when Brady was born and grew older. We tried working with her and we even resorted to medication. Medication made her really not even want to get out of bed and made her more aggressive. Something wasn't right and she wasn't happy. Our vet had thought it was allergies but when allergy meds, switching food and other tactics didn't work, it was clear it was more than that. Words like separation anxiety, OCD and anxiety were thrown out.

Then, something happened that made the decision a tad easier, if that was ever even remotely possible.  Actually, it was TWO incidents--if I hadn't been right there and grabbed Brady out of the way, she would have bit a chunk out of his face. Yes, his face. He wasn't doing anything but sitting there playing and unknowingly got too close. Clearly, it bothered her.

It was then that we knew what we had to do.

We were upfront and clear about Lily's issues when looking for a new home for her. We full disclosed everything and you know what? It was what she needed. The woman in the family works with Blake so we get a lot of reports and guess what?


She is doing fantastic! She doesn't bite her feet. She runs around with her children (she has 5 who are ages 7-18) This was a dog who didn't even want to go outside to play or do much but chew on her feet! She is like a new woman!

I do have some solace, actually a lot of comfort knowing how well she is doing. The family has wanted a dog for a while and when they brought her home the 7-year old cried his eyes out. They are best buds and she sleeps at the foot of his bed. The best thing about her new home is that someone is home all the time. Lily needs a lot of attention and being home alone all day was really hard for her. Add in the baby, the cat and our busy lives and I think it was all just too much for her. They have a large family that can give her all the attention she needs. 

In the end, the decision we made wasn't just for Brady but it was for Lily too. She wasn't happy. She was probably depressed and it showed. She had gained over 5 pounds in the past year. She didn't want to play. The aggression was just a small part but knowing that the short time she has been in her new home has made a world of difference in not only her quality of life but for her own happiness. It does made me incredibly sad to know she couldn't be that happy with us and I think that might be the hardest pill to swallow. She wasn't happy with us. We had to go with the fact that we knew that in the end this was the right thing to do. Even though we know it was the 'right thing to do' it doesn't make any of this easier. Not.one.tiny.bit!

We will get another dog one day. We (I) am not ready and may not be for a long time. Lily was part of the family to me and has been for the past 5 1/2 years. Brady loved her and seeing him look at her with pure excitement in his eyes made it that much harder. He loved her just as much as we did. . It's hard to accept that she doesn't live with us anymore but she'll always be part of our family.

7 comments:

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

Oh NO..I hate this for you. I am a dog lover and I know its hard. So would u not recommend a beagle dog with small crazy boys?? I was almost settled on getting Tucker a dog until I read this

Jennelle said...

Awww, Amy! I'm so sorry that it came to this, but I'm glad that you are finding peace in Lily's happiness.

Joline said...

I am glad to hear Lily is a new happy lady! I am sorry you feel so sad about it, but it sounds like you tried everything and made the best decision for her. I am sure in the future you will be a great dog mom again!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Amy. :( I've been there and I know how tough it is!

Katie said...

I am so sorry Amy!

I don't think it was that she wasn't happy with you. She was too happy with you and didn't want you to share your love! I'm glad you are able to find peace with how loving her new family is with her.

Mary said...

Amy, you did the right thing, but I know you miss your sweet Lily. Thank you for truly exhausting every possibility and not taking the easy way out. You successfully rehomed her in a place where she is happier and her family loves her. It takes a lot of work and I commend you for being committed to her well-being.

Brady will just have to be content with tormenting Piper until it's time for you to adopt another dog:)

Maria said...

I'm so sorry Amy. I'm glad to hear that she is doing well in her new home, though. Sounds like you guys made the right decision.