Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Conundrum

I really like that word--conundrum. I know i have been tagged a few times but i will get to that, I promise....and I won a few fun things that I must post! Later, promise! :)

Anyway back to the conundrum. I started grad school in 2006 to get my Masters and Certification in Early Childhood Special Education. I was a nanny at the time and miserable. Then, I started my current job two years ago, and have found that it suits me, and actually like it on most days. It just doesn't pay much, but the benefits are well worth it.

Ok, so your wondering what is the issue, right? I took the summer off of school because after the wedding, working, and school, I was burnt out on school, and ready to have my life back. So, i planned to go back in the fall but found how wonderful it was to have free time again---to not have to worry that i should be doing homework, or this or that. I got a ton of stuff done around the house....and so on.

Well, guess what came in the mail yesterday? Student loan bills (because my deferment will end in December.) I will be honest, right now we cannot afford another bill, and this one is more than either of our car payments. So, then Blake brought up going back to school.

Basically, he couldn't understand why I didn't want to go back. His thoughts were
A) "your good at it (he isn't a fan of school, and while i am not, it's generally easy for me)
B) Why stop now when you have come this far
C) Do you really want to make $xx,xxx for the rest of your life?
D)You were just stressed out because of the wedding that last semester, it wasn't school.....

I really don't know how to answer any of those questions but to look at the pros and cons. I get his points, but i am happy for now, but then again.......that could always change. I do miss working one on one with kids, but what I do now is rewarding.

Cons
it would put us farther into debt.
It would also take me another two years to finish, and I plan (don't know about him, lol) to have kids before then.
Then, there is the whole, I don't know what i want to do with my life kind of thing.
Takes away time from my life
did i mention it's expensive?
It will not further me or get me any more money where i am at currently

Pro's
Give me something to fall back on in the future
Teaching would be a good schedule for when we have kids
Ill accomplish my goal of getting my MA.
I would make more money in the future

I just don't know what to do. Anyone have any wise advice?


By the way, I picked up New Moon on Sunday night and FINISHED IT today during my lunch break! See, If i was in school i wouldn't have time to read and obess over Twilight.......

11 comments:

Katie said...

I would go back if you will use the degree. As Juan always says "Your education is the only thing that cannot be taken away from you". Good luck in deciding. :)

N. said...

Urgh, I know exactly how you feel. I am also currently trying to decide if I even want to start grad school. My goals and priorities have changed so much since I first decided I wanted to, that now I'm just left confused and unsure about the time and money constraints it will put me/us in...
I don't have any words of wisdom; obviously it is something you have to figure out for yourself, but just know that you are not alone!

Angie said...

I can totally relate to your post. I started my MBA at Webster but didn't finish cause I went to work for my dad and he didn't offer tuition reimbusement and I couldn't afford it on my own. I don't know what you should do, although I know it is a PITA you would probably be happy that you worked so hard for it after it was done.

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia Goolia said...

Tough decision for sure. I'd probably go back sooner than later, though...but only if the pros outweigh the cons quite a bit. Coming from a single income home [while Nate goes to school full time for the next three years] it ain't easy. But it will be worth it in the end when he is happy with his career and we have two incomes!

It's a personal decision for you, so good luck and follow your gut.

Jennelle said...

It's such a tough choice. I'm an accountant, and I need more hours in order to take the CPA exam, so it was easier for me. But I'm so glad I started right away, because I can't wait to get it over with! I think you'll thank yourself when you finish--it's getting there that's the hard part. Good luck with your decision. :)

sarasel said...

I am a firm believer in masters degrees. In this economy, every little bit helps.

Lots of people are going to be going back to school right now, as they always do when the economy sucks. So you'll be in good company, right? And then you will have a better way to compete in the future.

How much school do you have left?

Shannon said...

I obviously don't know you other than from stlwed but let me just say that I regret not going to school and getting a degree. To be honest in my job I make a decent living but if I had a degree doing the same thing I would qualify for higher pay.

If you only have two years left I would go ahead and finish up.

Mary said...

My advice would be to choose the path that will ultimately make you happy. It sounds to me like you are happy at your current job. I understand the money aspect of it, but don't get wrapped up in the mentality of "you have to finish because you started." It's a tough situation to be in, for sure. Good luck, Amy!

WineLush said...

Amy-
My general education philosophy is this:
Education is a wise investment if it would either get you a job you're happy in or help you make make more money. If you're lucky, it can be both, but its worth it for either one.
Remember these two things:
1)A lot can change in two years in terms of your happiness in your current position. You might really be ready for a change in two years and having more options is always a good thing.
2)There will probably never be another time that's as good as right now. (ie it'll be harder when you have kids to go back)

Of course, I'm 6 months from finishing my Masters, so I might be a bit biased. :)
Good luck with your choice!!

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

I am in the exact same boat but I am trying to finish school. I love my job now and the pay is good but I want a career...u know I think there is a difference!!! It sucks so bad to go back but it has to be sooo rewarding. I keep trying to make excuses as well, but all in all in need to do it now!