Summer months are just crazy. My child is not even in school yet and summers seem to be the most hectic time of the year. It probably doesn't help that it's a busy time for my job but it seems that the summers are filled with fun outings to the park, pool or zoo and it seems like we are always on the go. Regardless of all the why's, we moms need time to find little things that make it easier for us! We moms need to have some time to wind down and breathe too!
1. I've posted about this here but individually prepping snacks that are easy to grab before we head out of the house are essential. My child eats about a hundred and ten times a day so if we are without food, things can get kinda crazy and in case of emergency, we break a prepackaged snack and the day has been saved. Once I learn how to actually sew, I'm going to make some reusable baggies too!
2. Pack a beach bag that is filled with all your necessities. Sunscreen, snacks, floaties, towels so that you are ready to go when the pool is calling your name and you're sure that you always have the essentials. When we get back from the pool, I take out the dirty towels and replace them with clean ones and fresh snacks (obviously, sealed items like raisins, fruit bars, etc)
3. Keep spares handy. I have a tote in the back of my trunk with spare sippy cups, sunscreen, change, extra clothes diapers, wipes etc so that if we forget something (and we always do!) it's there when we need it.
4. Toys. We all know what happens when a toddler gets bored and a bored toddler always results in something being broken, destroyed or someone is injured or upset. Emergency stash of toys is always carried with me. I keep a zipper pouch filled with some toy cars, a pack of crayons and a pad of paper. When a wait in line gets to be too long, It buys us a little time before he gets to the point of embarrassment.
5. First Aid is well, essential. Being on the go and having an active toddler often leads to boo-boos. We keep a first aid kid with us in our car stocked and I always keep some band-aids in the diaper bag.
6. Summer seems to be the busiest time at work for both of us. We keep a little white board on the fridge to not only let each other know what day's we will be home late or have a special activity planned and it helps our sitter know as well. Communication is so important for our busy lives and for us it is key to survival!
7. Get a little help from your friends. Planning a BBQ or outing? Have a list and divide it up among yourselves! Have one person be in charge to bring juice boxes and another one bring snacks. It makes for a much easier outing!
8. Keep a tote in your trunk! Extra bags or storage are always needed. I keep a zipper pouch for wet clothes handy too.
9. Water. I always have a resusable bottle with you. This is a easy tip and many of you probably already do this but we freeze the water bottles and when we are headed to the zoo or park, we throw one in a waterproof bag and that way we don't have to spend $5 on one AND we are using one less piece of plastic!
10. This one is for the mom's. Whether it's your favorite drink or a song, pack something that will give you a little 'me' time or help you through the craziness. For me it's a little thing called, caffeine. My life would not be complete without it and I'm a bit coffee drinker. An Amy without coffee is not pleasant and when it's 1,000 degrees out like it is in July, an iced latte is my favorite go to drink. A can of Seattle's Best Iced Latte would be perfect to take with me!
Want to save $1.50 on an ice latte from Seattle's Best? Click here to get on!
“I wrote this blog post while participating in the SocialMoms and Seattle’s Best Coffee blogging program for a gift card worth $30. For more information on how you can participate, click here.