Wednesday, May 27, 2009

So far....so good!

I can now update you all! Thanks for the good vibes. I hope they worked!

We got a phone call last Thursday that the quad screening test we took (blood test to test levels in blood) came back saying it was 'positive' for Down's. Of course, I freaked..then I cried.....and cried some more. I cried until I couldn't anymore.....you know how your head hurts because you cried so hard? I was there. Blake tried to console me but there was really nothing he could say.

I did my research and basically being positive means that the baby has a chance in having Down's. Normal 30 year old women have like a 1 in 600 (and something) of having a child with Down's but mine came back as 1 in 269. They told me to go to genetic counseling and do the amnio....It was all just so unexpected.

If you don't know what an amnio is...they basically stick a needle through your stomach to take some amniotic fluid out. They culture it and it will tell you if the baby has Down's (or some other chromosomal abnormality)

We went to MoBap this morning, I was basically a ball of nerves. Our appt with the genetic counselor was at 9:00 but they didn't see us until 9:50ish. She basically told us that we had a low chance, and that we could do the amnio to know for sure. She also broke it down better for us---If there were 269 people in the room, the same age, and had the same exact numbers on the blood test screening, then one of those women would have a kid with Down's. Then she basically told me that my risk is that of any 35 year old. Sounds weird bc I am 30 but still that is my 'risk'.
We then waited again (me with full bladder about to explode!) to see the ultrasound tech. She brought us back and my eyes could not believe how the baby had grown! The heart, the spine, the arms, the toes--everything there was perfect!!! Pretty darn cute too if i do say so myself!

The scan of the baby took about an hour to look at everything and measured the skin fold of the neck, measurement of nose to lip, the heart, and some other Down's syndrome markers. The doc then came in and said that the baby looked pretty on target, and the amnio was up to me.

I was on the fence even when he asked me but then I remember what the genetic counselor said and that there was a 1 in 500 chance of miscarriage. I declined. After seeing my perfect baby....i couldn't risk it. I will love this baby no matter what and the risk isn't worth loosing my sweet baby boy! I can now tell you it's a

BOY!!!!!

Blake was ecstatic, and clapped. I looked at him and go, 'seriously, you really clapped?"

I feel better and more at peace and pray that I made the right decision. No parent ever wants to hear there is something wrong with their child. It doesn't help that I see the worse case scenario everyday at work.

I go back in another 4 weeks to rescan and look to make sure everything is still ok. The baby and all it's 'parts' are not fully developed until 20 weeks or so which is why they want me to come back. The scan doesn't negate me from having a Down's syndrome kiddo, but it made me feel better. Something told me that is was going to be ok....

I have to say......

I am so in love.......and more than i was before. I cannot imagine actually seeing this baby and holding him!

Now to pick out names!!!! I will post some pics later---I got some pretty good ones of his adorable little feet, and him with his mouth open!!

11 comments:

LC said...

Ohhhh...Baby B is a BOY! How exciting, Amy!!! SO so happy for you! I am still waiting for pictures of your belly!

Mrs. Dirnberger said...

YOu are such an inspiration. I love that you are so in love with this baby BOY!!! I give you great credit that you didn't do the amnio. I chose not to have any genetic testing done b/c I will love this baby no matter what...and I think you made the right decision. I know in the back of your mind you will still worry that something could go wrong but I pray for you and this baby and I know HE willl be perfect!!

Although I chose not to have testing done...was this test that you did just a regular screening or did you choose to have it done? Just curious.

Yeah for your perfect baby boy...I have an ultrasound at 16.2 weeks and I am hoping to get a better look at my baby and maybe be able to tell the sex also!

Anonymous said...

I am SUPER excited for you Amy. So glad everything looks good. :)

Unknown said...

Well the scare is definitely freaky but like you said, when that little BOY!! is in your arms, you will love him and deal with any issues along the way together with Blake. I'm so happy for you guys and your little boy!!

d.a.r. said...

Aww a baby boy!! Congratulations! I just found your blog and love it. Hope you don't mind me reading along :)

Katie said...

Congrats Amy! Boys are fun! I'm glad you are feeling better about things.

Julia Goolia said...

Congrats on the little guy....I'm sure that helps make this all seem so much more real, and connected to him. I'll be praying that he is healthy and without Down Syndrome....but I''m glad you have already decided he will be loved no matter what. I'm sure that is a tough decision to have, but hang in there!

Emily said...

I knew it was a boy! haha Congrats!! =-)

Bee said...

I found you blog hopping and just wanted to say congratulations on your baby boy! I have two and they are a LOT of fun!

Angie said...

Congrats on having a boy! I can't wait to see pix. And I will continue to pray that he is ok. I understand why they do that but part of me thinks it's wrong to scare people unnecessarily.

Sarah said...

how super exciting, girly. can't wait to hear more!